Next regular Union Meeting:

Sept 12 2017


Contact Shop Committee



Fax: 204-783-0146



Mike Maskell

204 831 8746 

Negotiations Website

Direct Link to the District 140 Negotiations site.

District 140 Negotiations Site



Administration Office


Phone: 204-987-9250

Fax: 204-987-9252



Wasaya Thunder Bay


Chief Steward

Mark Daley



Chief Steward

Eric Lemoine

(204) 230-9315


Shop Steward

Chris Montecillo

(204) 891-2292



Employee Assistance Program



Wasaya Collective Agreement


Servisair Winnipeg Collective Agreement



Employee Assistance Program



E.A.P. Help line

Ligne d’entraide P.A.E.





Regional Coordinator


Peter Scavarelli             204-471-5307




EAP Representatives


YWG Finance LL2603


Beata Tomai             





Marielle Caron 



Tony Gers-Uphaus           306-244-8238 





Steve Miller           807-577-1193







IAMAW/AC - Employee Assistance Program
Claim Secure Counselling Reimbursement Plan

The IAMAW/AC-EAP Counselling Reimbursement Plan is for you and your family.

It has always been with the Employee Assistance Program’s mission to deal compassionately with our members and their family. District 140 along with your IAMAW local are here to provide assistance should you require outside help to resolve personal, family or work-related problems. The Counselling Reimbursement Plan plays a major role in providing financial assistance to our members and families when addressing these issues.

Under the Air Canada Supplementary Health Program (Claim Secure), you are eligible for reimbursement of 50% of fees per visit up to a maximum of $500.00 per person or $1,000.00 per family per calendar year for counselling services (please see criteria below).
Under the IAMAW/AC–EAP Counselling Reimbursement Plan you are eligible for reimbursement of the other 50% of fees per visit, up to a maximum of $750.00 per person or $1,500.00 per family per calendar year for the services of a qualified provider.

In order to be qualified for reimbursement for counselling, the provider must be licensed and a member in good standing with an approved association and must be one of the following:
Ø Registered Psychologist
Ø RSW (Registered Social Worker)
Ø RCC (Registered Clinical Counsellor) – in BC
You may contact your EAP Coordinator in your area that will be glad to help refer you to an appropriate resource. Those who wish to seek counselling without going through EAP may do so but must ensure that the provider meets the qualifications per listed above.

Procedure for submitting a claim for reimbursement:
1. Pay for the service upfront & request receipt. Verify that each receipt includes:
a. The patient’s name;
b. The name of the service provider;
c. The date when the service was rendered;
d. A description of the service;
e. The amount charged.
f. The counsellor’s accreditation as well as his/her registration number, if applicable.

2. You will need to submit two forms for each request for reimbursement:
a. One for reimbursement under the AC supplementary Health Plan (Claim Secure Health Claim Form Expenses:
Other than Drugs).
b. The other for reimbursement from the IAM/AC-EAP Plan. (Confidential Statement of Claim Form – EAP009).

3. After completing each form, attach the original receipt to the Claim Secure Form and a copy of the receipt to form
EAP009. Mail both forms together in the special pre-addressed light blue coloured envelope (ACF851N) available at
your work status or mail to:
Air Canada/ClaimSecure Inc.
PO Box 7878, Sudbury, ON
P3E 0A9

You can access the forms either from an EAP Representative, the Shop Committee, Claim Secure or from any of the
Local Lodge websites.
Should you or your family member have any questions regarding the Employee Assistance Program, you may contact us at any time knowing your confidentiality is our greatest regard.












Copyright © 2011 IAMAW Local 714 - All Rights Reserved